Discover Walk Film

More than 150 people came to join the Bengeo Field Discovery Walk organised by Stop Bengeo Quarry campaigners.

The walk was organised as a treasure hunt trail with a map leading friends and families along the by-way across the field, past the lonely oak tree, St John’s Wood and around the edge of the field past the old Rickney’s quarry.

Interviewed for the film made of the day, Mark Lynch, one of the co-founders of the Stop Bengeo Quarry campaign, said, “This quarry will destroy a magnificent open space, which is the only open space we have North of Hertford. It’s ridiculously close to the local school and, as many people have said, you wouldn’t put a school next to a quarry so why on earth are they putting a quarry next to the school?”

The support for the walk underlines the importance of this area for the local community. If the proposed quarry goes ahead the Bengeo Field as we know it will be destroyed. It is a place which brings the community together at weekends and throughout the week – loved by families, ramblers, cyclists, dog walkers, horse riders – and is a link between local communities in Chapmore End, Crouchfields and Hertford.

Bengeo Field Summer Challenge

love_bengeo_ident_200We are delighted to launch our Bengeo Field Summer Challenge. You are invited to join us for a number of Stop Bengeo Quarry events throughout this summer. At each event you will be able to collect a stamp on your personalised loyalty card. Those who collect the most stamps will be entered into a prize draw and the prizes are amazing – in both children and adult categories. More information about forthcoming events will be announced on our website and Facebook page.

BENGEO FIELD DISCOVERY WALK

And why not start the the Bengeo Field Summer Challenge at the first event – on Sunday 19 th June. It couldn’t be easier – you need to turn up at the Sacombe Rd Park (between the Wick and Buckwells Field) to get your map and challenge instructions for the Discovery Walk. The start is between 10-10.45. The map will guide you through the Bengeo Field and all 8 challenges on the way. You will need to bring: a camera/mobile, a pen/pencil (we will have spare), and a drink. You can also bring a ribbon/decoration for the lonely oak tree. The walk will be approximately 45-60 mins (there is a longer and shorter option) and you will finish back at Sacombe Rd Park. Once you complete the Discovery Walk you will receive a Bengeo Field Summer Challenge card with your first stamp!

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Bengeo Quarry Campaign Gets Set For a Summer of Fun

The campaign against proposals for a quarry just over 300 metres from Bengeo Primary School is gathering momentum with a summer of activities being planned.

Plans are underway for Bengeo Field Fun Day on Sunday 10th July with live music from local bands, food and drink and activities for all ages including a fancy dress competition and the Great Bengeo Bake Off. The event will take place on the playing fields of Bengeo Primary School between 12 and 4pm. There will also be an opportunity to talk to local councillors about the quarry proposals.

In the meantime, this Sunday (19th June) will see supporters have another chance to walk the field and take part in a treasure trail beginning at Sacombe Rd park at 10am. The route should take around an hour and everyone is welcome. Treasure maps can be bought on the day.

The campaign has gained support across Hertford and surrounding villages and it is now pleased to announce that Chapmore End Association has joined the campaign.

So far more than 870 letters of objection have been sent to planning officers at Hertfordshire County Council, but there is still an opportunity to voice your objection.

Bengeo Field Discovery Walk

The field needs your help! Make it your mission to use Bengeo Field this summer. Join us on Sunday 19th June (Fathers’ Day) for a fun treasure trail starting at Sacombe Road park between 10-10.45 am. The walk will take a maximum of one hour. You can buy a treasure trail map and use it over the next few weeks.

We are also launching a Summer Bengeo Field Challenge and would love every family in Bengeo to make it their mission to use the field at least once over the summer: walk/cycle/ride, check in at the old oak tree and post your pics to Facebook… The more we use the field, the better!

Suggested donations for the treasure trail map: £2 per adult, £5 per family (2 adults, 3 children). All profits to the campaign.

Participants will receive a map with the route options and a treasure hunt/nature discovery instructions. Please bring your mobile or a camera and a ribbon to decorate the oak tree (optional). Don’t forget a drink. All children will need to be under their parents’ supervision.

Hundreds put their best foot forward in support of Bengeo quarry campaign

walk

More than 300 supporters joined in the walk from Bengeo to Chapmore End in support of the campaign to stop approval being given to a quarry in the heart of Bengeo countryside.

Residents of all ages gathered by the old oak tree in the field behind Bengeo Nurseries to make their views known on the application to turn the field into a gravel pit for the next 15 years. Children decorated the tree with ribbons, posters and poems and the procession then made their way across the byway to Chapmore End. The Woodman Pub then hosted a barbecue and live music was kindly provided by local musicians, with Bengeo Primary School pupil Jakub Pickering kicking off proceedings, followed by Bengeo resident Harold Chaplin, Piping Shrikes, Daisy Mae Lewis, Schrodinger’s Strings and Mike Excell. Councillor Andrew Stevenson thanked the crowds for coming and pledged his support for the campaign.

Continue reading →

Walk to the Woodman

Join us at the Old Oak Tree at Bengeo Field, on the footpath on the site of the proposed quarry, just off Wadesmill Road (B158) at 11am on Sunday 15th May. Or meet us at the Woodman Pub in Chapmore End at midday.

This is an opportunity for members of the community on all sides of the proposed site to walk to the Woodman Pub in Chapmore End arriving at midday.

Donations are invited from walkers, but are in no way compulsory. There will be live music at the Woodman and a BBQ with all profits going to the campaign. Entertainment will be from 12-3pm.

Wear Red for the campaign and Green for our Countryside.

SBQ Walk Poster v2

Live music will be provided by Mike Excell, who will be singing his self-penned campaign song, along with support from Bengeo’s own Schrodinger’s Strings, Daisy Mae Lewis and a semi-acoustic set from Piping Shrikes, with other acts to be confirmed.

Performers links:
Schrodinger’s Strings
Daisy Mae Lewis
Piping Shrikes

Residents Pack Public Meeting

It was standing room only at Bengeo School when local residents attended a public meeting to find out more about the application for gravel extraction and our campaign against it.

DSC_4873

Hertford residents once again showed overwhelming support for the Stop Bengeo Quarry campaign mounted earlier this month against proposals for a quarry just 320 metres from the local primary school and only 30 metres from some houses.

Libby Mountford, the Chair of Governors at Bengeo Primary School reiterated how important it was for residents and parents with children to object, and confirmed that the school is objecting to the proposal on the grounds of health issues and road safety. She urged everyone to write their letters of objection

County Councillor Andrew Stevenson once again showed his support for the campaign by addressing residents and answering questions.

He said that the application and accompanying expert reports raised a large number of questions and he would be asking the various departments at the County Council to respond to these questions. The questions include public health, pollution of groundwater, highways impact ,environmental impact and the sheer proximity to the well established urban area of Hertfordshire County Council.

Where appropriate he would expect them to seek external expertise from organisations not connected in any way to the applicant.
Residents also heard from members of the campaign committee about specific points of objection, which include:

– Dust levels and the effect that silica particles generated by extracting gravel have on health.
– Traffic and road safety issues caused by 100 lorries entering and leaving the site six days a week.
– The impact that a quarry will have on the local environment and landscape.
– Water levels on the proposed site behind BengeoNurseries and the likelihood of flooding if the quarry gets the go ahead.

DSC_4896_edit-1

Further information on these areas is available on this website.

East Herts District Councillors Paul Phillips and Michael McMullen also expressed their support for the Stop BengeoQuarry campaign. However, members of the audience also expressed their disappointment that East Herts District Council had not opposed the quarry proposal, and compared this unfavourably with the Council’s strong opposition to previous gravel extraction schemes.

Anyone who wants to object to plans needs to do so by 2nd May.

DSC_4839_edit-1

Campaign Meets Mark Prisk MP

DSC_4833_edit-3

The Stop Bengeo Quarry campaign has been promised local MP Mark Prisk’s ‘full support’. In a meeting on Friday with members of the group and East Herts District Councillor Patricia Moore, Mr Prisk said that he would look into the national context regarding demand for gravel and the issues around its extraction.

He expressed concern over the effects the quarry would have on the health of residents as well as the strain it would place on roads and the water supply to the area.

300 Residents at Public Meeting

quarry_DSC_7089_001

More than 300 local residents and families from Bengeo Primary School attended a meeting on Sunday in support of a campaign against proposals for a quarry in Bengeo. The meeting, held on the playing fields next to Sacombe Road, was a great opportunity to inform residents about the plans and to appeal to them to make their objections known to Hertfordshire County Council before the deadline on 2nd May.

Sacombe Rd resident Aska Wisniewska-Pickering, who was one of those who initiated the campaign two weeks ago, addressed the crowd, along with Councillor Andrew Stevenson and parent governor at Bengeo Primary School Dr David Adam. Aska said: “It is so important that people in Bengeo and across Hertford and the villages know about this proposal as it will create congestion, noise and disruption, and it will expose residents and schoolchildren to harmful pollutants generated by the gravel extraction. We really need everyone to spread the word and write their objections before the May deadline. This is a beautiful field that so many Hertford families use regularly for walks and cycle rides. We hope that together we can stop Bengeo quarry from going ahead.”

The site earmarked for the quarry is just 320 metres away from the primary school and as close as 30 metres to some homes. Those supporting the Stop Bengeo Quarry campaign are concerned that the mineral extraction which will be carried out at the quarry could impact on the 500 young children who attend the school (in any given year) will be exposed to silica dust particles known to cause health issues.

Campaigners are also concerned that the B158 Wadesmill Road, where lorries will enter and exit the quarry will become even more congested and dangerous as it is anticipated that around 100 large lorries will be entering and leaving the site six days a week from 7am.

Campaigners have organised a meeting on Friday 22nd April at 7.30pm at Bengeo Primary School to discuss the proposals in more depth. All are welcome to attend.