Public Enquiry: Day 1

The Public Enquiry in to the County Council’s refusal of planning permission for gravel extraction north of Hertford has opened at County Hall.

The first morning was taken up with procedural issues and the opening statements of each party.

During the afternoon, the County Council’s noise consultant addressed the enquiry and was cross-examined. This was followed by the Council’s representations on gravel supply and the Minerals Local Plan.

Highlights from the afternoon included:

Noise

  • HCC assert that Sacombe Road and The Orchard would face unacceptable noise levels for the first application of 1.75 million tonnes.
  • Sacombe Road would face unacceptable sound levels for te second application of 1.25 million tonnes
  • The County Council’s witness was challenged on his criticism of the applicants research, sound levels of machinery and calibration of equipment. The witness gave solid responses in our opinion.

The Minerals Plan & Existing Supplies of Gravel

  • Existing approved plans will supply over 13 years of gravel
  • Housing development south of the proposed quarry site will not prevent future extraction
  • Existing approved plans provide sufficient diversity of gravel supply in terms of numbers of companies and sites

The Appellant (RJD Ltd) and the land owner are are working with Hanson on a third planning application with access via the existing [mothballed] Rickney’s quarry. However, any such application is outside the scope of the current enquiry.

If you would like to speak at the enquiry, you can still register.

Public Enquiry Opens

A Public Enquiry in to the County Council’s refusal to grant planning permission for a quarry north of Hertford opens today, Tuesday 1st May 2018.

The enquiry is taking place in The Council Chamber at County Hall in Hertford and runs for Tuesday 1st to Friday 4th May, and from Wednesday 9th to Friday 11th May.

The agenda has yet to be confirmed but typically the appellant & their witnesses will be heard first, then the County Council & their witnesses, then Rule 6 parties & their witnesses (Stop Bengeo Quarry and Andrew Stevenson). We do not know when the public speakers will be asked to speak – normally it is outlined by the inspector based on the availability of the speakers.

At the Development Control Committee last week, the County Council highlighted conflicting information from expert speakers and statutory consultees, particularly with regard to health. Dr.David Adam also spoke on behalf of the campaign to highlight a new study by the HSE into the behaviour of crystaline silica in the atmosphere.

Planning Permission for Quarry Refused

Stop Bengeo Quarry Group are delighted that Hertfordshire County Council have unanimously and unambiguously rejected the revised Planning Application.

Aska Pickering chair of Stop Bengeo Quarry said: “This is amazing news. It is wonderful that the committee so firmly rejected this dreadful quarry proposal. We were all heartened by the robustness of the committee’s response and the strength of their support. It is testament to our many volunteers and the incredible amount hard work and effort that has gone into fighting this proposal over a period of two years. We now need to redouble our efforts to fight against the quarry in the Public Inquiry which is to take place between the 1st and 4th of May and the 9th, 10th and 11th of May. We have been preparing for this Public Inquiry for months. So please come along if you possibly can to give us your support”

The proposal was rejected on 5 key grounds:

  1. Inappropriateness of the development in the Green Belt. Case Officer Felicity Hart said in her report that “any benefits of mineral extraction… do not clearly outweigh harm to the Green Belt and any other harm, including harm to landscape, rights of way, noise and health.”
  2. Harm to the landscape, in particular damage caused by the construction of an access road
  3. Negative impact on users of the much loved and used public right of way. The report said that “the development would impact on the use of the local rights of way network and could therefore have an adverse effect on health and wellbeing”.
  4. The proposed development includes land outside the preferred area – in particular for the access road
  5. The proposal has not demonstrated that noise would not have a detrimental impact on nearby residences

Additionally, two advisory notices were added to the refusal the first on concerns over dust and secondly over concerns of contamination of Hertford’s water supply. These could not be given as grounds for refusal as doing so would have involved further meetings which the timescale would not permit, given that the public inquiry is opening on the 1st May.

The committee also expressed surprise and some annoyance that the applicant did not attend the meeting for a second time.

Stop Bengeo Quarry are delighted that we will now be working with Hertfordshire County Council to stop a quarry that is both damaging to the local environment, to the Green Belt and to the health of local residents.

Families Spell Out NO to Quarry Plans

School children, parents and teachers gathered on Bengeo Primary School’s playing field on Tuesday to show their opposition to a planned nearby gravel pit.

A drone camera flew overhead and filmed the protestors holding up posters that spelled out a huge NO. They wanted to highlight just how close the proposed quarry would be to their school.

School governor Libby Mountford said it was “disappointing” that, after last year’s unanimous rejection of the application by Hertfordshire County Council’s Development Control Committee, Bengeo residents were having to renew their campaign against the pit.

“We shouldn’t have to do this all over again. The idea of excavating 1.25 million tonnes of sand and gravel – which we do not need – from a beautiful field so close to a primary school of 500 children and to so many people’s homes, is preposterous,” she commented.

Campaigners believe that the dangers of silica dust in the air and the extra heavy lorries on the B158, plus the potential threat to the purity of Hertford’s water supply, make for an overwhelming case for rejection.

They hope to fill the Council Chamber at County Hall this coming Thursday 26th April, when councillors will discuss and vote on the new application. Coaches will leave The Avenue shops at 9.00am (priority for senior members of the community) and at 9.15am from Bengeo School (priority for children).

An appeal against last year’s rejection of the application of a plan to excavate 1.75 million tonnes from the same field starts at County Hall on Tuesday May 1st at 10.00am.

Fundraising at The Bengeo Club

Bengeo residents flooded into The Bengeo Club on Sunday 15th April in support of the campaign to stop the Bengeo quarry. The fundraising effort raised £450 with the sale of teas/coffees, a raffle and homemade cakes.

Children painted rocks, designed posters, and penned poems to express their concern for their environment and to protect their local school. In particular – they mention the dust pollution, the water supply and the wildlife around the much loved Lonely Oak in the centre of the Bengeo Field. More than 250 people visited Bengeo Club for the event, including Cllr Andrew Stevenson, Cllr Peter Ruffles, Cllr Sue Dunkley, and Cllr Linda Radford.

Aska Pickering, the Chairperson of Stop Bengeo Quarry campaign said: “The support of the Hertford community is truly amazing. We have been campaigning for over two years now but the support to stop the quarry just on the border of Hertford grows stronger. The event provided the campaigning residents a chance to discuss the latest developments and forthcoming events, as well as enjoy delicious cakes.”

The children will further demonstrate their passion to protect Hertford from any quarry proposals on Tuesday in Bengeo Primary School where they will present their posters and create a NO in the school’s playground.

The latest quarry proposal will be considered by Herts County Council on 26 April at 10am. The Planning Inspectorate’s inquiry to the appeal against HCC’s refusal of the previous application will start on 1 May at 10am. Stop Bengeo Quarry are calling for all supporters to join them on these days in the County Hall.

Bengeo Quarry Plans Recommended For Refusal

The planning officer’s report to the County Council has recommended that planning permission for the quarry north of Bengeo be refused.

Following months of campaigning against the applicant’s second application we’re delighted the council’s planning department have recommended that the plans be rejected.

In her report to the council, planning officer Felicity Hart gives six reasons for recommending refusal – development in the green belt, effect on the landscape, health issues, negative effects on rights of way, development outside a preferred area and noise disturbance.

Chair of the Stop Bengeo Quarry Campaign, Aska Wisniewska Pickering, commented: “We are all delighted with the recommendation of the HCC Planning Officer to refuse the second revised application to turn Bengeo Field into a quarry. We hope the HCC Development Control Committee Councillors will follow this recommendation on 26 May.”

“We are calling for all the residents to also join us for the opening of the Planning Inspectorate’s public inquiry on 1st May at 10 am. It is vital that the inspector is given the opportunity to hear and see the strength of local opposition in relation to the proposed quarry on Bengeo Field. We have been campaigning for over two years and we are hoping that this will be the final time this totally unacceptable proposal is being considered”

The County Council’s Development Control Committee will meet on Thursday 26th April 2018 at 10am to make a decision on the plans. REgardless of any decision made by the council, the applicant has already lodged an appeal with the Planning Inspectorate, who will be holding a public enquiry on the plans at the beginning of May. A recommendation will then be made to the Government, with the Secretary Of State Savid Javid making the final decision.

» Read the full report here

Woodland Trust Formally Objects to Quarry

The Woodland Trust have written to the County Council to formally object to plans for gravel extraction north of Bengeo.

As the UK’s leading woodland conservation charity, the Trust aims to protect native woods,
trees and their wildlife for the future.

In their letter to the council, they state: “… the Trust objects to the planning application on the basis of damage to St John’s Wood, an area of ancient woodland adjacent to the proposed extraction site. We will maintain our objection until the applicant commits to affording the ancient woodland appropriate protection from indirect impacts through the implementation of a 100m buffer. We consider that the proposals in their current form would have unacceptable impact on the ancient woodland and therefore contravene both local and national planning policy.

» Read the full letter here

Campaign Submits Formal Response

The Stop Bengeo Quarry campaign has submitted their formal response to the submission of further information in respect of extraction of Sand and Gravel north of Bengeo.

The document constitutes the response of the Stop Bengeo Quarry (SBQ) group to the letter of consultation regarding further documentation submitted by the applicant.

In summary, our submission states: “In our opinion the developer provided the new information in a very piecemeal manner and references proved difficult to follow. This also made it difficult to disseminate the information and ensure that all the correct documents were available to the public … The Cumulative Impact Assessment … is flawed and only examines the visual impact of a quarry together with houses in a very perfunctory manner … We do not believe that the Hafren Water report sufficiently covers the actual risk to groundwater.

» Read the full document here

Support from Cllr.Ken Crofton

We’re delighted that County Councillor for Hertford Rural, Ken Crofton, has voiced his support for the Stop Bengeo Quarry campaign.

In backing the campaign he writes: “This further application will have many of the harmful effects as the last scheme which was roundly refused by the County Council Planning Committee. The proposed extraction of 1.23million tonnes of sand & gravel over a period of 8 years would be an unacceptable intrusion for local residents and Bengeo school. My experience indicates to include restoration of the site to its beautiful current aspect will take much longer. This Green belt land will be harmed forever and is a price not worth paying as the county has a minimum of 16 years sand and gravel supply already The traffic impact will be undeniable for the substantial lorry movements for abstraction and restoration. I believe this site in this location will have an unacceptable air quality impact for local residents. I do not believe the water pollution concerns have been adequately considered.